No aquatic ecological project is too large or too small. If you require, or have any questions about any of our services listed, please don’t hesitate to contact us today!
Baseline and investigative surveys of aquatic ecosystems (rivers, wetlands, inter-tidal mudflats and salt lakes)
- Baseline surveys for macroinvertebrates, fish, frogs, turtles, waterbirds, water rats, microinverterbates (zooplankton), phytoplankton and/or hyporheos fauna. Baseline surveys are undertaken to characterise current/pre-development aquatic communities (including conservation significance), and assess potential future threats to aquatic fauna and flora.
- Desktop studies, database searches and literature reviews on existing aquatic fauna and wetland ecosystem values, providing a basis for designing and implementing targeted fauna surveys/baseline fauna surveys.
- Design and implementation of post-development/post-impact aquatic fauna and water quality monitoring programs for both small- and large-scale mining and infrastructure projects.
- Development of system-specific trigger values for water quality (e.g. nutrients, ions, metals) and ecological attributes (e.g. fish and aquatic invertebrates) in accordance with ANZECC/ARMCANZ (2000) guidelines.
Targeted fauna monitoring and management
- Targeted surveys for Federal (e.g. EPBC), State (e.g. DBCA) and international (e.g. IUCN) listed fauna.
- Fish, shark and crayfish population estimate studies using mark-recapture methods.
- Invasive species monitoring, management and removal, including boat-based electrofishing for koi-carp, goldfish and exotic aquarium releases.
- Stygofauna and cavernicole fauna surveys.
- Preparation of threatened aquatic fauna (invertebrates, fish) management guidelines in accordance with relevant State, Territory and Commonwealth Legislation.
- Ecological and impact assessment studies for aquatic vertebrates, with project experience including freshwater turtles, freshwater and estuarine crocodile, waterbirds, sharks, sawfish, and stingrays.
- Inputs to Environmental Management Plans (EMPs) and Public Environmental Reviews (PERs) for aspects of projects involving aquatic ecology, including mine dewatering and discharge management issues.
- Development of ecological health report cards.
- Development of ecological performance indicators for constructed wetlands.
- Input to ecological risk assessments (e.g. for large mining operations such as Ok Tedi Mine in PNG and PT Freeport Mine in Indonesia).
Foodweb, stable isotope and ecotoxicity studies
- Ecological assessment of tidal flats, mangroves and estuarine habitats.
- Food web studies using stable isotopes to investigate mining/development impacts and metal exposure/uptake pathways.
- Analysis of heavy metal concentrations in fish, crayfish and mollusc tissues for comparison against toxicity thresholds and local and international food standards.
- Ecotoxicity trials to assess heavy metal (and other analyte) toxicity to aquatic fauna.
Other specialist services
- Development of Ecological Water Requirements (EWRs), including development of channel hydraulic models and hydrological time-series analysis (using Hec-Ras and RAP models).
- Determination of Ecologically Sustainable Yield from river systems using RESYM and PADFLOW models.
- Monitoring and assessment of effectiveness of environmental flows (EWRs and EWPs).
- Ecological Character Descriptions (ECDs) of Ramsar wetlands as required under Commonwealth commitments to the Ramsar treaty on wetlands of international importance.